There is an exception to the normal progression through stages from Normal Civility to A Collapse of Society. Some Extraordinary Catastrophic Events would immediately cause A Collapse Of Society… others would inevitably cause A Collapse Of Society, but there would be a time lag before it occurs.
With an Extraordinary Catastrophic Event, the ability to provide Critical Life Supplies and Services to the mass population… would be immediately impossible… or will be inevitably impossible.
An example immediate… An Extraordinary Catastrophic Event leading immediately to A Collapse Of Society would be an Electro-Magnetic Pulse Event that destroys the electric power grid immediately… for years. The Stone Age.
An example inevitable… An Extraordinary Catastrophic Event leading inevitably to A Collapse Of Society would be a ‘Massive volcanic ash ejection’ that would cause a prolonged ‘Nuclear Winter’ …for years. This Extraordinary Catastrophic Event would lead directly to A Collapse Of Society, but it may be weeks or months before A Collapse Of Society occurs.
List of Extraordinary Catastrophic Events
- Electromagnetic Event (EMP) or Solar Storm (Reference the Chapter “Emanuelson on preparing for an EMP attack or Solar Storm”)
- Epidemic or Pandemic of Food Borne Illness, Infectious Disease or a Bio-engineered (Reference the Chapter “Surviving Biological Infectious Disease and Chemical Warfare”)
- Total Financial Collapse (Reference the Chapter “Area Emergencies and Catastrophic Events”)
- Massive Super Volcano eruption and ‘Nuclear Winter’ Ash Cloud Fallout (Reference the Chapter “Surviving massive volcanic ash ejection”)
- Nuclear Warfare on a Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD) basis (Reference the Chapter “Connor on surviving Nuclear Warfare with what you have”)
Specialized To Do and Items needed for Extraordinary Catastrophic Events:
Electromagnetic Event (EMP) or Solar Storm Extraordinary Catastrophic Event
(Reference the Chapter “Emanuelson on preparing for an EMP attack or Solar Storm”)
- Faraday Cage… you won’t need this after an EMP or Solar Storm if you didn’t have your electronics protected by it in the first place. Like a parachute, if you don’t have one when you needed one, you probably won’t ever need one again. Put your electronics in a Faraday Cage NOW-NOW. The EMP or Solar Storm is the one Extraordinary Catastrophic Event that is very plausible. See the Chapter “Emanuelson on preparing for an EMP attack or Solar Storm” for instructions on how to build an inexpensive Faraday Cage.
- Non-electric items you need to get if you don’t have…
- A Lehman well bucket and rope. See the Chapter ‘Water.’
- Rotary water pump
- Solar oven
- Hand tools
- Heirloom seeds, gardening supplies and livestock supplies
- Multiple small solar panels as electrical generation
- Manual can openers like the military P38 and P51 (the P51 is a full 2” long)
- Crank operated grinders for grain and meat
- Hand coffee grinder
Epidemic or Pandemic of Food Borne Illness, Infectious Disease or a Bio-engineered Extraordinary Catastrophic Event
(Reference the Chapter “Surviving Biological Infectious Disease and Chemical Warfare”)
- Hand sanitizer.
- Rubbing alcohol.
- Hydrogen peroxide.
- Anti-bacterial hand soaps.
- Tincture of Green Soap medical disinfectant.
- Colloidal silver solution.
- Buy lots of antibiotics. See the Chapter “Medical and medical resource information” for veterinarian drugs related to Infectious Diseases.
- Oral rehydration and intravenous drip rehydration units like DripDrop… lots. These make the difference between life and death with diseases like Cholera and Typhus.
- Antiviral medicines and vaccines if available.
- Face masks, N-95 equivalent full face fitting, not surgical masks.
- Tyvek disposable suits or washable full body coveralls.
- Disposable shoe covers or rubber shoe covers.
- Protective eyeglasses, face shields or goggles.
- A couple of full-face Respirators.
- Disposable gloves and reusable rubber gloves.
- Disposable tissues and paper towels… like mega boxes of them.
- Individual hand towels.
- Waterproof permanent marker labeling material to individualize items.
- Fingernail clippers, scissors and pointed fingernail cleaning files.
- Grocery type thin film plastic vegetable bags to slip over fomite items like phones.
- Silver oxide impregnated Band-Aids, bandages and shaving cut sealer.
- Hot spices for your foods. Spices such as Tabasco, Cholula, chili peppers, garlic, peri-peri… help kill bacteria.
- Chlorine bleach, Sodium Hypochlorite solutions and Lysol™ brand disinfectants.
- Microfiber floor cleaning mops and dusters.
- Waste bin liners.
- Ultraviolet Light (UV-C) bulbs, and hand held UV wands.
- HEPA filters and cloth.
- Heavy clear plastic sheeting and lots of duct tape to create ‘ante rooms’ and seal off HVAC vents and Quarantine areas.
Total Financial Collapse Extraordinary Catastrophic Event
(Reference the Chapter “Area Emergencies and Catastrophic Events”)
- Liquidate all stocks, bonds and withdraw all cash from pension funds and 401 K programs.
- Buy ‘junk’ silver coin, Morgan or Peace 90% silver, American Eagle gold and silver coins in 1/20, 1/10, ¼, ½, and one troy ounce denominations. Concentrate on smaller coins because you won’t be in a position to get ‘change’ for one ounce of gold or silver and silver coins. Gold and silver bars will not be trusted like coins, because the minting will verify the coins. Lead ‘filled core’ gold and silver bars will appear during a Grid Down scenario so bars and ingot forms of gold and silver will not be trusted. Buy lead bars as an alternative as bullet molding will make lead more valuable.
- Withdraw cash from financial institutions and store cash in small denominations such as 1, 5, 10, 20s and some in $100 bills. Divide and spread out your hiding places.
Massive Super Volcano eruption and ‘Nuclear Winter’ Ash Cloud Fallout Extraordinary Catastrophic Event
(Reference the Chapter “Surviving massive volcanic ash ejection”)
- You need to IMMEDIATELY obtain a two year, or more supply of food if you don’t have that much in Emergency Foods.
- Shelter all people and animals before the ash cloud starts falling.
- All persons outside must wear Facemasks, goggles to protect the eyes and others must stay indoors as ash starts falling.
- Gather as much food, water, medicines, food for animals before the ash cloud begins to fall in your area.
- Collect as much bituminous coal and firewood or fire logs as you can buy or obtain.
- Buy a water distillation unit like a WaterWise 1600 non-electric distiller or a D-STIL LiteTM Do It Yourself Emergency Survival Water Distiller. See the Chapter “Water.”
- Find a potable water source or one that can be filtered and for most people with elementary filtration systems, that water will have to be distilled after filtering to remove sulfates and acids.
- If you have a private water well nearby you will be lucky… IF you have a hand pump or well bucket to draw water from it… as eventually all electric generation will cease or you’ll run out of fuel for your electric generator, making your submersible water pump useless. If there is time to express order, get a Lehman well bucket and rope or make one. See the Chapter ‘Water.’
- Buy plenty… and I mean plenty… of large coffee filters to prefilter your water before further running it through your water filtration system and prior to distilling it. Use them over and over to the point of failure by drying them and reusing.
- Buy all the panty hose, plastic sheeting, duct tape, auto oil and filters, windshield wiper fluid and Facemasks in addition to the below items that you can get your hands on. You will have to seal every crack and crevasse of vehicle non-necessary doors and your dwelling against drifting ash.
- Seal all entrances to your house including Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning units as soon as ash starts falling. If you’ve ever lived in the plains of West Texas you’ll know what this means… as a fine layer of dust will accumulate on everything inside.
- Get many layers of winter clothing and warm blankets and comforters for each person.
- Purchase every candle you can find and when you have lighting from a source such as kerosene or oil lamps, plenty of fuel… like 55 gallon drumS full (with an ‘S’ for many) and plenty of wicks.
- Buy up every battery type you need that you can find.
- Buy lots of matches and cigarette lighters.
- Gather MORE fuel for heat and cooking like wood or coal. The solar stove and solar power generation will be useless.
- Try to make a ‘mud room’ entry to your home to attempt to keep ash out of your living and breathing quarters. This is a transition room between your house and the outside where clothes and footwear can be changed prior to entering your living quarters.
Nuclear Warfare on a Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD) basis Extraordinary Catastrophic Event
(Reference the Chapter “Connor on surviving Nuclear Warfare with what you have”)
From Author Shane Connor…
Reprinted with permission from his copyrighted essays at KI4U.com
The half-dozen top listed items below, you’ll also use while in the shelter that 2-3 days. They are mostly ready-to-eat that requires no cooking or preparation, just a can opener at the most. (The iodine solution is included here because of its importance for its thyroid-blocking topical use detailed above, IF you do not have KI pills, but it’s NEVER to be ingested or swallowed.)
The other foods listed below there are better cost/nutrition staples for later use during the extended recovery period. Then follows general non-food supplies, tools and equipment. Better to risk being a little early when securing your families essential food and supplies, rather than a few hours too late and going home empty-handed…
- Ready-to-eat foods (granola/energy/protein bars, snack-paks, raisins, cheese, etc.)
- Some perishable foods (breads and fruits like bananas, apples, oranges, grapes, etc.)
- Canned goods (soups, chili, vegetables, fruit, tuna, meats, beans, peanut butter, etc.) Assorted drink mix flavorings (with no cold drinks, just plain water, kids will appreciate it!) Plenty of potent Multi-Vitamins, Vit C, Pepto Bismol, aspirin, Tylenol, other OTC meds, etc. Iodine solution, like Betadine (16 ounces)-NOT TO BE INGESTED OR SWALLOWED!
- Largest sacks of rice, beans, flour, potatoes, pasta, quick oats and other grains. Multiple big boxes of dried milk (Could include/use some inside shelter, too). Multiple big boxes of pancake and biscuit mix & syrup. Large bag of sugar and jar of honey. Large 2 gallons or more of cooking oil. Baking powder & soda & yeast & salt & spice assortment pack. Bottled water (especially if home supplies not secured yet).
- Paper or plastic plates/bowls/cups/utensils and paper towels Quality manual can opener, 2 if you don’t already have one at home Kitchen matches and disposable lighters New metal garbage cans and liner bags (water storage & waste storage)
- 5 or 6 gallon bucket and smaller garbage bags sized for it (toilet). Pool noodle to cut slit lengthwise to fit as seat for toilet bucket. Toilet paper and, if needed, sanitary napkins, diapers, etc.
- Baby wipes (saves water for personal hygiene use)
- Flashlights (ideally LED) and more than one portable radio Plenty more batteries, at least three sets, for each of the above
- Bleach (5.25%, without fragrance or soap additives) Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide and hand sanitizers Prescription drugs filled, and as much extra as possible
- First aid kits and Fire extinguishers
- At least a couple inexpensive N95 particulate respirator masks for each member Cheap plastic hooded rain ponchos for everyone
- Water filters and all other camping type supplies, such as portable camp toilet, cook stove and fuel, ammo, etc., if any sporting goods stocks still available.
- And, of course, rolls of plastic sheeting, duct tape, staple guns, staples, etc.
- Iodine tablets for radioactivity. These are a ‘band aid’ for certain types of radioactive poisoning. If the radioactive levels get too intense there is little you can do. Radioactivity is like thousands of tiny invisible bullets going through your body.
- Geiger counter. This will tell you the extent of the radioactive levels in your area.